Sunday, 26 October 2014

Lazy Sunday reads - Lena Dunham's book

Lena_Dunham_book_3 
After all the uni work, numerous articles stuffed with words never understood or even acknowledged and constant computer buzz transmitting tv shows and YouTube clips, occasional buzzfeed video here and there and then it's Sunday. I usually use it as a day to finish all things on to do list and clean up and cook a big meal for a week... Not really, not gonna lie to you. I do nothing that really matters on those grim Sundays. I take a bath, message my friends, organise my socks maybe and read.
READ.
I used to be a book-worm geek at school and I want to believe my book loan history is one of the biggest one they have in records. But somewhere in between becoming a student and moving to another country I lost it. I did read occasional book or two on holidays, but that would be it. And that made me feel incredibly empty. Stepping up, getting a degree and education meant a 3 page article in Vogue was the biggest leisure related read I could have handled. It was the time for a change!

Lena_Dunham_book

Lena's book was something I was waiting for with an excitement and curiosity. A woman who created GIRLS wrote a book full of stories, about love, sex, body, friendship, work and loads of other day to day things we all experience to certain extend. I can't tell you how easy it is to read it, as if you read a friends' letter, a story that happened to her last Tuesday. She mentions family and school and time when she was working on the first girls season in the book, and that makes it all so realistic, as if she has nothing to hide. Although, I am sure she does. We all do.
I love how easy this book is. You choose a single story, a thought, a consideration. You can come back tomorrow or in a year and re-read it and it will bring you new ideas and thoughts.

Lena_Dunham_book_1

"There are two types of women in particular, who inspire my envy. The first is an ebullient one, happily engaged from morning until night, able to enjoy things like group lunches, spontaneous vacations to Cartagena with gangs of girlfriends, and planning other people's baby showers. The bigger existential questions don't seem to plague her, and she can clean her stove without ever once thinking, What's the point?(...) The modern version of this is my friend Deb, who loves trying new exercise classes and is able to write for the same four hours every day in the same coffee shop, unconflicted about the creative process. She had a revolving door of casual dinner dates when she was single, before she met her husband and fell in love with him, never once accusing him of not understanding "what it feels like to be me." Deb plans regular weekend getaways to "sexy, delightful" places like Palm Springs and Tulum and is a master at the logistics of dinner parties and doctor's visits. She doesn't seem to worry that she has lupus or cancer. It would be easy for me to jealously dismiss Deb as flighty or superficial, unaware of what's really going on in the world. But Deb's smart and, I told you, I am jealous."
-p.128-129

Lena_Dunham_book_2

And that got me back into reading. I really want to think so. I really really do. It is so simply genius. Thank you Lena!

Patricija

No comments:

Post a Comment